Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"So when are you due?"

I've had an OBGYN appointment on the calendar today for quite some time - my doctor must be in high demand because it is nearly impossible to get an appointment with her. So I arrive at 9:45 for my 10 a.m. appointment, fill out new paperwork with my big-girl Mrs. name on it, and tell receptionist I've moved from Memphis to Jackson. I find a seat and diligently fill out the forms, trying to remember Husbands SSN (without luck). And then, it begins...

Just for a visual, I'll describe the ensemble that was seated next to me:
  • Acid washed jean cut-offs... so terribly short she was nearly showing her no-no parts to everyone in the waiting area
  • Black suede clogs paired with a smashing set of black socks, hiked up mid-calf
  • Fleece zip up that looked strikingly similar to this:
  • Oh, I almost forgot the red lace camisole underneath, which quite possibly doubles as lingerie
And because everyone wants to talk before their lovely appointment with their gyno, she struck up a convo. Let's call her Wolf Woman.

Wolf Woman: So you live in Jackson? (*be sure to use your best Red accent while reading*)
Me: Yep... (pretends to read magazine)
WW: Have you ever been to the fairgrounds?
Me: Nope, I have not.
WW: Well I'm going this weekend, can you tell me how to get to the fairgrounds?
Me: Sorry, just moved there... I don't know my way around very well.
WW: I'm going to the gun show this weekend. Are you and the Mr. going too?
Me: Most definitely not.
WW: It's the best one around! Ya'll should totally be there. Best deals in on rifles, shot guns, EVERYTHING!

SILENCE.

WW: So, when are you due?
Me: Excuse me?
WW: When are you poppin' that baby out?
Me: Uhhh I'm not pregnant.
WW: You sure?

SILENCE again.

Seriously? This lady was for real. FOR REAL. Let me just say that I am 5'4'' and on a bad day I weigh 128 pounds. I do not, in any way, look pregnant. Or so I thought.

Oh, but there is more.

WW: Well I've been a'waitin for my doctor lady for 2 hours. I've got some "things" on my "area" she said she's gonna fry off. I just hope this procedure ain't gonna hurt none.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a direct quote. And also when I nearly vomitted. She even used air quotes when "things" and "area" were said.

On a happier note, I have 2 more days of work left... and then I might be able to breathe.

On a not so happy note, I have one word: Election. But I will keep my comments to myself as I'm sure everyone is tired to hearing about it.

On a fat note, I'm going to drag my pusdo-pregnant belly to the gym ASAP.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Maybe it's because you are young and haven't had enough time to sleep around and get "things" on your "area", which would have made her assume that the only other reason for you to visit the ob-gyn is pregnancy. It could make sense. In the bizarro land that she lives in.

Colleena said...

aaaahhh...what a great way to start my day. i love how you make it feel like i'm right there next to you while this was happening-great writing ;) maybe you should go to the gun show, find her, then post an actual picture of wolf jacket and cut-off jorts.

Insight, Insanity, Imagination said...

I KNEW IT! YOUR PREGGO!

Oh... no? ok, maybe not. Can I please see you somehow before you leave memphis and never come back again???