Monday, March 22, 2010

Jack: 2 Months


Dear Jack,
I can hardly believe you have been in our world for 2 months. The truth is, you are our world now, and it couldn’t be any better. We just saw the pediatrician and you have literally doubled in size since December 28th. You weighed in at a whopping 12 pounds 2 ounces which is a lovely jump from your birthweight - makes me kind of proud that you are able to pack on the pounds. When it is time for you to eat and we are getting ready in our chair, you make the cutest “huh huh huh” noise – your Daddy thinks it is hilarious – you have done this from day one and I love it. I love that special time we spend together, just you and me. Feeling your sweet little pudgy fingers tickling my side, or death-gripping whatever you can get your hands on. Sometimes when you are mid-gulp you will look up at me, lock eyes (love) and you get this big goofy smile on your face, kind like saying “hey thanks, Mom” and then you proceed to dribble all over the place. I will gladly take that smile and being covered in breast milk any day.

Speaking of smiles, yours are ridiculous! The mornings are your most smiley time and I wish Daddy could be there to see it more often. You have been smiling with a purpose for a few weeks now and it makes us fall deeper and deeper in love each time, if that is even possible. Hearing you coo, shout & psudo-giggle is the highlight of my day. I would like to think we have little conversations but just having you acknowledge me is a dream. You used to hate having your diaper changed, but the changing table has now turned into your podium, the place where you tell the world hello with “ah-gooo-s” and coos.


We successfully had our first overnight trip to Nashville (where you were a total angel-child and spent the day shopping with us.) You went to your first restaurant, did a great job eating in the dressing room at Baby Gap (slightly awkward, I’ve heard this gets easier) and everyone thought you were the most handsome baby. I totally agree. This is also where you started sleeping for much, much longer than usual (I’m not complaining). You slept for 6 hours in our hotel. SIX HOURS. I couldn’t believe it, and yes I did check several times to make sure you were still breathing. I’m pretty sure it has everything to do with you, and not my obsessing over Babywise, 12 Hours by 12 Weeks, or the Baby Whisperer. Although those books were helpful (stressful?) you just slept longer simply because you were ready to. I don’t know how long this trend will last but we are savoring it for now. As you change and grow I promise not to hold it against you if you need me again before 3 a.m.

We also went on our first epic road trip, which will be the LAST epic road trip for a very long time. Possibly until you are 3 and totally potty trained. I call this trip “epic” because although we were only driving 338 miles, it took us nearly 12 hours. Twelve hours of “this can’t be right…” as we drove in the pitch black through southern Alabama, a.k.a. Themiddleofnowhere. Stopping to feed you was a challenge because, well… there wasn’t anywhere to stop. You were a total trooper and even though you were breastfed in some seriously questionable gas station parking lots, we had a great weekend seeing your Aunt Mindy marry her sweet Ben. Actually I had a great weekend showing you off, but your Dad was bored out of his mind. Sorry Daddy.

In only 8 very short weeks you have brought so much joy to our lives. I never knew my heart could love this much. When you nuzzle my neck and I feel your drooly, steamy breath, my heart melts away. You are our little prince and we couldn’t be more blessed.

We love love love you Jack, Monster, Booger, Buddy, Peanut, Bean.


p.s. Please forgive your Mommy for not writing a 1 month letter - I will fully admit that I did not have the mental stability or capacity.

3 comments:

Courtney and Jason G. said...

Bawling. TOTALLY AND UTTERLY bawling.

Lynn said...

Beautiful letter written to a beautiful boy from a beautiful mommy!

The Linns said...

Just catching up on the blog reading (since I am miserable at posting on my own lately). I love reminiscing about my own sweet days and am glad I have some wonderful women to share these stories with myself! He's awesome!